Saturday, August 26, 2006

Welcome all!

Hi everyone, I guess I am going to be playing catch up on what has happened to me until I have my posts up to current events.

July 19th
Flying to Korea was both strange and familiar. In some ways it reminded me of all the times I went to Australia. Just like the flight from Los Angeles to Melbourne, the flight from Toronto to Seoul was 14 hours long. I flew on Air Canada an (unfortunately) familiar airline, and it was just as tiring and stressful as air travel always is. However, there was an excitement in me as each plane took off and landed which was unique to this trip.

The final plane ride was only an hour long. But I was so tired by that point that I slept through almost all of it. I woke to the sounds of the wheels being lowered. I opened my eyes and took in the sights of Busan. I admit that my perceptions my have been warped by jetlag but the city captured my attention completely. Even though it was completely dark I could see how the city wrapped itself around the mountains and coastline which define it’s geography.

Once I landed I was picked up by Monica one of the recruiters who had got me my job. She took me to a hotel which was much nicer than I had expected. I had barely had time to put down my luggage when she asked me if I wanted to go to a friend’s birthday party (she had spent the most of the time in the taxi and room on a cell phone to my school and various other people). I was pretty tired by that point but I decided that the whole reason I went to Korea was to have a more interesting life, so why not go out! Anyway, We went to western style bar where we met a bunch of other foreign teachers. Including some very cute Canadians! I had a couple of beers and a really nice time. I got home around midnight, had a bath and collapsed into bed. All in all I couldn’t have asked for a better introduction to Busan.

The next day I was taken to the school where I will be working. It was much nicer than I had expected. The walls are a beige marble (probably fake, but the effect is still nice) and the classrooms are very well equipped. Each teacher also gets their own classroom, which is not common here. I met with the bosses and we went over some paperwork and they provided me with my teaching materials. Then they took me to my apartment. When I first walked in I got a bit of a shock. The school had told me that they had only just signed for the apartment a couple of days ago, but what I did not realise was that this meant it wasn’t even furnished. It is a studio apartment, and the only thing in the room was a bed and a tv. They told me that they would get me furnishings within the next few days, but it was still quite stressful. They did get me internet, a desk, chair and dining table within three days, but I didn’t get a fridge until 5 days later. Anyway, that gives you an idea of what my first couple of days were like!

I am adding some photos to this post. The first photo was taken from the exit door of the plane to Korea. We actually flew over the arctic to get to Korea. All that white in the photo is arctic ice! The second photo is of my first view of Incheon Airport in Seoul. Its the most "technologically facilitated" airport in the world and was voted by the AETRA as the best airport in the world. It was certainly one of the nicest and most conveniant I have ever been in. The third photo is of me standing in Dong Bek park with Haeundae beach in the background (Korea's most famous beach). On my first full day in Korea I had the morning and early afternoon to kill before I was going to be picked up to see my school. I spent much of the time walking around the area. I ended up on a 2.5 hour walk that ended on the edge of Haeundae beach. I also ended up at the Building which Busan built specifically for the 2005 APEC conference in Korea. I took a couple shots including one from Paul Martin's chair! My last shot was taken at a food tent set up at Haeundae beach. There was dozens of these tents filled with aquariums containing fish, eel, urchins, crabs and more. All of which you can have them cook for you. Busan is where people go in Korea for the best seafood.


Arctic Ice!

Welcome to Seoul

In Dong Baek Park

In the presence of Greatness! :)

Et Tu, Paul Martin?

MMMM, Lunch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home