Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A quick diversion

This is a current post outside of my "catching up with events" stuff. It happened just 15 minutes ago. I wil be back to catching up next post :).

I have always had a perverse pride in my self-definition as a geek. I think of myself as someone who is "good with gadgets."

Although this might seem like a stupid little anecdote, for some reason this made me feel really good. The day before yesterday, my TV channels all disappeared. As though they were cut off because I had not paid my bills. In fact that is what I thought had happened. Because I can't read any of the mail that appears in my mailbox, anything that looks important is given to my school and they take care of the bills.
So for all I know, they forgot to take care of the cable bill and I had been cut off. Anyway, the cable came back on tonight for no apparent reason. Unfortunately, the TV no longer recognised my remote and would not move up and down through the channels. This would not be a big deal, except for the fact that like everything else here, my remote and tv buttons are in Hangul (Korean script). The inability to understand what anything means can get frusterating here.

To cut a long story short, I actually managed to work out how to reprogram my tv in 3 minutes, without being able to read what a single button does!

I know, I know... you read that whole post for such a little climax, but I felt this completely disproportionate sense of self-accomplishment! Even in Korea, I can still kick a gadget's ASS!!!

3 Comments:

At 2:58 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, you nerd.

There's something you can put on a resume!
"Good with foreign electronic equipment"

 
At 2:33 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

And don't forget you were the only one who could program the VCR in Perth!

But don't tell anyone in Korea that you aren't good at Starcraft :P

 
At 1:32 p.m., Blogger Kozboy said...

Now there is something that I COULD put on my resume if it were true. "Starcraft Master"
They would double my salary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home