Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Three month anniversary (Boring couple of weeks)

On October 19th I officially completed my third month in Korea. Unfortunately, it's nothing to get excited about. For the last week or so I have failed my promise to myself to update twice a week. Part of that is that the last couple of weeks have been pretty uneventful. Part of it is also that I am feeling down at the moment. When I got here a was told by a few people that at around the 4 month mark, many people experience a period of depression. I think a lot of it is brought on by the end of "newness." Once you reach a certain point of adjustment, where Korea is no longer new and exciting every week, you settle down into a routine. At that point, it is easy to get depressed. You are away from the familiar, family, western culture etc... The job is not challenging enough to provide mental satisfaction, and you wonder what exactly is the point. I have had times in the past few months (and posted about them) when I have had these thoughts. However, each time something new and exciting got me motivated again. I think that because I had friends here when I arrived I became adjusted to Korea quicker. So I reached the end of "newness" faster than most people.
Anyway, I have always gone through these manic swings between optimism and depression. I know that I would be feeling the same way if I was back in Canada doing my first primary teaching job (just for different reasons).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home