Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Well this is a first!

Ok, so yesterday morning I went to my bank and learned how to do ATM money transfers in Korean. I was transfering a big chunk of money to my travel agent who had reserved me tickets to Koh Samui, Thailand, flying through Bangkok (where I will stay overnight before flying on to Koh Samui). Well wouldn't you know it, approximately 8 hours later, Thailand had a military coup!
Now I have looked into alot of news sites and apparently it was a bloodless seizure of power. Thailand has had bloodless Coups d'etat before. Thailand is a constitutional monarchy. The current king is the longest serving monarch in the world. The reverence of the Thai people for their King, and the influence he wields means that although the democratic process has been subverted, it is unlikely that the country will collapse into violence. Still, its not exactly safe either. On the one hand, if I cancel I have a whole weeks holiday when everyone else is working and I may loose part or all of my money. On the other hand.... Well, the mind fills with possibilites. Actually, part of me can't help being a little excited at the prospect of visiting a country during such a dramatic time.

Anyway, I am not going to cancel right away. I figure it will be smarter to wait and see how the situation unfolds over the next couple of days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home