Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Reality hits home

There is a saying; "If you want something done give it to a busy man to do." During my life I have tried not to be in the position where I can attest to the truth of this statement. I have certainly had some hardworking jobs in my time and my last few years of university were pretty full on. But my sister, for better or worse, was the one who got the "hardworking" gene. However, this last week has given me an appreciation for the value of hard work. Its a great distraction!

During my first month here I was working my butt off. Like I mentioned in my last post I didn't have alot of time to think about my life. Now that I am on the normal Korean work schedual, where I goto work at 3:30 and leave at 10, I have most of the day to kill and alot of time to think. All in all, this move to Korea has been a very positive experience. However, with all this time on my hands I came to a strange and powerful realization. Since I was 20 and decided to go to university my life has been defined by a stong progression forward. Every month and every year has been defined by near and future goals. Get into university. Move to Canada. Get through first year. Finish the term paper. Prepare for exams. Create a thesis. Graduate. Go back to university. Prepare for an internship. Graduate. Look for jobs. Move to Korea. Start the next stage of life.

Well here I am. I have a job. I have an apartment. I goto work each week. I socialize with new friends. I think about where I want to travel on holidays. All of these things are great, but for the first time in more than 6 years (actually its even longer, when you consider that childhood is a series of constantly shifting goals, even if they are often other people's) I do not have some next big thing to prepare for. I don't have a long term objective which I work towards each week. I am here, maybe not forever, but for now this is it. I am not quite sure what to make of that fact. I have always been a world class procrastinator. I enjoy not working when I am supposed to. But now I go home and there is no work hanging over my head. Somehow, goofing around isn't as much fun when I can do as much of it as I want!

I guess that this is a point most people reach at a certain point in their lives. The goals which have defined their lives for many years are either achieved , or become irrelevant. So I guess the question I have to ask myself is; What Next?

2 Comments:

At 5:38 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian,
Just got to OISE where there is an internet connection that enables me to download your blog with some speed. I haven't had a chance to look at Ian's yet but tell him I'm looking forward to it. I have such respect for the two of you and your willingness to have adventures. Mischa seems to have the same adventure gene. Have you seen his holiday picks? What great memories you will have! I have thoughts about the goal thing. Let me know if you want them.
Still haven't had a chance to make the movie. Soon. xNancy

 
At 11:36 a.m., Blogger Kozboy said...

I always have ears for wise words Nancy. Send them to me any time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home