Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving has never been the biggest holiday for me. Growing up in Australia we didn't really celebrate it much. During my time at York, Thanksgiving was actually a bit of a downer. I would always spend it in my university residence, since my family was thousands of miles away. Most people went home so it got very quiet and a bit lonely.
For better or worse, I have made choices in the last six years which have kept me far away from family. Being so independent has often made life a real adventure. However, at holiday time I am always reminded of the distance. Now that I am in Korea (where they don't even have the same holidays) holidays continue to be a strange time. However, the nice thing about being here compared to York is that everyone here is in the same boat. For my first Thanksgiving in Korea I went to the Seaman's Club. I went with some of my workmates, April (far right of photo) and Teal (next to April), as well as Dave and Ed (back of the photo) and their workmate Mat (far left). I hang out a lot with Teal, Dave and Ed. Although we had to have a Thanksgiving lunch because we work too late to eat dinner, it was nice to have a good group to celebrate with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home