Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Finally going to Thailand

A couple of months ago I canceled my trip to Thailand because there was a coup the same day I booked my tickets. In the end the coup was bloodless, but I am still glad that I canceled the trip. Because now I get to go after the rainy season and with some friends. I am going with the other English teachers at my school, Teal and Jennifer. We all get along pretty well and a trip is always more fun if you can share it with friends. We are flying from Busan to Bangkok, and from their to the city of Surat Thani. We will spend a day in Surat Thani and then get a boat to Koh Samui for the next night. After our day on Koh Samui we will go to Koh Phangan. Koh Phangan is famous for two reasons. First of all it is the site of the Leonardo di Caprio film, "The Beach." If you have seen the film then you know how beautiful it is. Secondly, it is the site of the famous "Full Moon Party" which happens every month. Apparently, the party attracts 10,000-30,000 people every month depending on the season. It is held at Haad Rin beach and their is food, entertainment, more alcohol than you can shake a stick at and over a dozen DJ's from Thailand and around the world. I am not much for rave parties. But it sounds like a unique experience. We leave Saturday, (12/02) in the morning and arrive back the next Saturday. Surat Thani was the center of the Srivijaya Empire, which ruled much of the Malay peninsula and Java. So I will have the chance to explore Thai history as well as spending time snorkeling, swimming, eating and drinking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home