Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Plans and Plans

I have a holiday this week. I have mentioned it before, how my hogwan gives us a week off when the middle school students have exams. Thats how I went to Thailand. This time I am nearing the end of my first year here in Korea, so I am being a bit more careful with my money. So instead of a big expensive trip I am going to go on a four day visit (Thursday to Sunday) to Seoul. I have passed through Seoul a couple of times, but never visited the city properly. Its one of the great cities in Asia. The greater metropolitan area of Seoul has almost 24,000,000 people. Making it the second largest in the world, after Tokyo. Besides and incredible population, Seoul has a lot of historical sites of significance. I'm not going to go over them now. I leave on my trip tomorrow and I will take plenty of pics of the sites I visit and will make other posts about them. My mate Dave is going to head up Friday night to meet me and we will go out to the party district for "club night," the last Friday of the month. I imagine it will be pretty fun :)
As I mentioned I am nearing the end of my first year. So I have started to consider my plans for next year. Actually, I have been considering them for a while, but I am not acting on them. I am going to start actively looking for a University job in Pusan for next year. The Uni jobs have several advantages, but the main ones are less hours for close to the same pay (maybe 20 hours of classes a week) and two month long paid vacations a year. I requested a reference letter from my current job, and was given an excellent one by Sarah, the VP at our branch. The letter mentioned that I was the best reviewed (they get teacher feedback from the students at the end of each term) foreign teacher at Namcheon, and that they would happily rehire me. I am putting together a full resume package with degrees, transcripts, reference letters, resume etc... which I will take to most of the major universities in Busan. I don't really know what my chances are, but my fingers are crossed. I have been both lucky and happy at my current hogwan, and we get more vacation time than any other hogwan I know of. But working at a Uni would still be preferable.
If everything works out as planned I will finish my current contract on July 24th. I will then take a week to 10 days for a motorcycle trip all around Korea with Dave. After which I will hopefully have about 3 weeks to come back to N. America and visit family before my next contract starts. Its difficult to say at this point how all of this will turn out, but I am thinking positively.
The motorcycle trip is actually one of the things I am most excited about. Dave finishes his contract a little before me and then he goes back to New York to attend Brooklyn Law School. So this is a one time chance to take a real motorcycle adventure around Korea with someone who is both good friends and partially speaks the language. Dave bought a motorcycle about a month ago (and I have been teaching him to ride) for the express purpose of taking this trip. So, I am going to make damn sure that this part of my plans goes ahead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home