Sunday, March 18, 2007

A bit of an epiphany

If I can digress from my posts about North Korea, I wanted to write briefly about an epiphany I had today outside a movie theater washroom. I was sitting waiting for a friend, thinking about nothing much really, when I suddenly realized one of the subconscious reasons I like being here in Korea so much.
One of the things that has always psychologically frustrated and upset me in my life is the constant sense I have of not belonging to anywhere. I am an Australian, Canadian, American. I have never lived in America so I have never felt that that was my home. I lived in Australia for many years while I grew up, and there are many things I love about Australia. However, there are several reasons why I never felt that it was my own country. I guess I feel more Canadian than anything else. I certainly prefer to tell people that I am Canadian these days because of the despicable politics of America and Australia. However, it was never completely home either.
I realized today, sitting outside that washroom that part of what I love about being here is that I don't feel bad about not belonging here. Wherever else I have lived I always wanted to be part of the culture and feel a sense of belonging, but my own psyche (and sometimes the people around me) never allowed me to forget that this was not "home." Here in Pusan I can feel perfectly at peace with not belonging. I don't belong here, but I don't belong in a way I can feel proud of. I am here living in an alien culture and the strange thing is that I sometimes feel that it is more positive to be where I can never really belong than in countries where I always felt like I should, but never did.

3 Comments:

At 12:58 p.m., Blogger sight&sound said...

Update: Still reading your fantastic blog!
Keep it up!
You make Korea seem like less of a scary foreign place!
:)

(PS - check your e-mail!)

 
At 11:10 a.m., Blogger Kozboy said...

Hey dude I gotta find a good time to call you. Anyway, I just passed the 8 month mark. time is counting down

 
At 12:59 a.m., Blogger sight&sound said...

Time is counting down?
Are you moving back?!

I miss you, man!
I don't sneak into movies with anyone else!
:P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home