Sunday, December 03, 2006

A beautiful day

We arrived on the boat from Surat Thani at a little past 5 am. The boat ride didn't end up being too bad. I always stress out about sea sickness, but I took a motion sickness pill and slept through almost the entire ride. The boat was slow but more enjoyable than I expected. All the passengers were on the upper deck, which had a ceiling that was about 5 feet high. But that was ok because our berths were sleeping mats. We met a few different people and I had a nice chat with a German couple who have been traveling the world for 14 months.
When I woke up the boat was pulling into the dock. There were a number of vehicles which were waiting at the dock. One of them offered to take us to Lemai. Which is one of the more popular areas on Koh Samui. Eight of us got in the pickup truck. Four in the cabin and four in the back, confortably squeezed in with all the backpacks. It was actually a really nice ride, I was in the back with Teal, a Swedish girl and a New Yorker. We all chatted and enjoyed the scenery for the 40 minute ride, which included an island sunrise. The guy dropped us off at a place with cheap beach huts, but we decided to pass since they were nicely situated near some nasty looking standing water. So, instead we walked a kilometer further down the beach until we found a place with better beach huts. It was twice the price of the first place we looked at. But since twice the price only added up to $15 Canadian we didn't feel too hard done by :). I have attached pictures of my private little house on the beach and the view which it gives me.


Since we arrived at 5am, we have traveled across half the island, walked along a beach, checked into a resort, showered (which felt damn good after 27 hours of travel), walked further down the beach to eat breakfast 10 feet from the water, purchased swim short and sat down in and internet cafe. I did all that and it is only 9am as I write this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home