Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Koh Samui to Koh Phangan

Today we got a ferry from Koh Samui to Koh Phangan. We decided to walk from the ferry to our resort, which ended up being quite a trek. On the map it only looked like 2km. But with the hills, twists and turns which the road took it ended up being a hour long uphill hike. Not the worst thing in the world, but not fun when you have a 15kg bag on your back. Anyway, we got to Blue Hills eventually and checked in. The resort is off the main beaches, which means that we don't have to deal with the noise and craziness of the Full Moon Party crowd. The party is in two more days but the town is already filling up and when we visited the beach around midnight there were already a couple of thousand people partying at the bars. It was a real meat market, and I wasn't drunk enough to appreciate it, so I didn't stay long. Besides, I don't really feel the need to party every night I am here. I have traveled a lot but this is the first vacation that I have taken that was all my own and not connected to family somehow. I have discovered that nice beaches, tanning and partying are not enough to keep me interested in my trip. I managed to talk my friends into hiring scooters so we could actually do some exploring. Unfortunately, we only got going in the mid-afternoon. But the scooters are only $6 for 24 hours, so we are going to hang on to them and tomorrow we are going in search of good snorkeling. I like the open-endedness of not planning to much of the trip. But I need more exciting and interesting activities. The best part of today was actually when we watched the sunset from the pool. I will post the pictures I took the next chance I get, but until then you will have to take my word that it was absolutely incredible. The pool virtually sits in the open air, with water filling to the brim and flowing over the edges in a waterfall. It looks out directly over the water and towards Koh Samui in the distance. The sun set over the water while we swam and drank Mango shakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home